Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I don't want to be a Millionaire.

OK, I wouldn't mind being a millionaire, but that's not my goal. This is the point of my blog. Goals must be realistic or they will not be achieved.

How many times have you read or heard something that got you so excited and motivated that you quickly scribbled out a lofty plan and set right to work on changing your financial life ... only to realize a few weeks or months later that not only have you not reached your goal, but now you are so discouraged that you give up completely?

I think this happens fairly often, and I believe it occurs because we set our sights too high.

I know, I know. I've heard it too. "Think bigger!" "The sky is the limit." "Keep your dreams alive!" "The Universe is Abundant and you can have everything you want!"

Well, all those motivating phrases may be true, but I've found that I do much better reaching my financial goals by keeping my feet on the ground and my head out of the clouds.

Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy reading books, websites, and articles that encourage me and lift my spirits. These are wonderful resources and I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without them.

But, sometimes, I get discouraged when I read that the Smiths have a combined net income of $84,300 a year. Based on most of the examples used in these resources, one might get the impression that there is no hope for someone who makes under $50,000 a year.

I mean, if someone making that kind of money is having trouble paying off credit card debt and can't save money, what sort of head-way can I make when I bring home less than $25,000 a year.

At least that's what I used to think. But not anymore.

Since I've made my goals more realistic, based on my income (not some income I think I should be making) and decided on a plan to reach those goals, I see real progress.


No comments: