Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Make Your Own Simple All Purpose Disinfectant

I use this disinfectant everywhere in my home. I mop with it, clean out sinks with it, disinfect doorknobs and faucet handles with it, use it on countertops, and sometimes spritz a dusting cloth with it. Rinsing is not needed, nor is it recommended when using it to disinfect.

This home-made disinfectant is both environmentally safe and very frugal (inexpensive). You can increase the cleaning strength or the disinfectant strength easily.


    All Purpose Disinfectant
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup rubbing alcohol
  • 1 TBS scented cleanser
  • 1 gallon water (boiled for 10 minutes then cooled)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup high powered cleanser like Awesome, Greased Lightening etc. (optional)

Using a kitchen funnel, add all ingredients except water to a one gallon jug (I re-use the gallon jug my drinking water comes in). Fill gallon jug the rest of the way with cooled, boiled water. Fill spray bottles, using a kitchen funnel, to keep in as many rooms in your house as you find a need for.

Vinegar is both a disinfectant and a mold/mildew cleaner. To increase disinfectant strength, add more vinegar or more alcohol.

Rubbing alcohol is both a disinfectant and a quick drying agent. This is what those high-priced floor cleaners use to make the floor dry faster. To increase disinfectant strength or reduce drying time, add more alcohol.

Scented cleanser is used primarily for its scent. It can be anything from Tide with Fabreeze (I get free samples and save them for this cleanser) to a pine scented cleaner. The scent is up to you.

I boil the water for at least 10 minutes. Once it is sterilized this disinfectant cleanser will last indefinitely without discoloring.

I add 1/4 cup Awesome to this cleanser when I am using it on something really grimy. I keep one spray bottle filled with this disinfectant cleanser in my bathroom and another one in my kitchen. The spray bottle in the bathroom has extra vinegar. The spray bottle in the kitchen has Awesome in it (in addition to the usual ingredients).

I also have an
empty dish detergent bottle filled with this disinfectant that I use to mop the floor. I just squirt out a line and mop. No rinsing and the floor dries in about 5 minutes.

Just spray and wipe.

No comments: